Search This Blog

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Wally Wood - Top-Shelf in any Genre



Wally Wood - humor, heroes, hussies... You name it, he could draw it. Parody, science fiction, mainstream superheroes. Wally Wood seemed at home in any genre.

I've included what I hope is a wide selection of images that will pay tribute to his talents. I did not include some of the bawdier images I found while sifting through images available on the Internet - hey, trying to keep this a family-friendly space! But know that it's out there, and pretty accessible.

My encounters with Wally Wood were mainly at Marvel, in reprints I've read of his stint on Daredevil, as well as various assignments inking over others's pencils. I've always liked what I saw, and his style fits my preferences for straightforward superhero fare.

How about you? Where have you enjoyed Wally Wood's work? Were you a reader of his T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents? How about his Sally Forth strip (careful...)? Drop a comment at the bottom, and in the meantime enjoy some pictures (and of course a hearty "thank you!" to those who own these images and retain all rights)!





 


 


 
 


6 comments:

  1. Wally Wood was phenomenal, a primary example of how the American comic book industry was elevated by artists who put much more effort into their work than they were ever paid for.

    -sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happened to pick up reprint of Daredevil #7 (Marvel Super-Heroes #27, if you're keeping score) around the time of Wood's death. It's a great story, Namor tries to hire Matt Murdock to be his lawyer and Daredevil ends up battling Sub-Mariner. Namor wins (of course) but gains a boatload of respect for his less-powerful opponent. However, in the pre-internet days, I didn't hear about it until I read the dedication to Wood in DD#181. I was glad I'd discovered Wood before that.
    Thanks for posting about Wood. It's a reminder to me that I have barely scratched the surface of his amazing artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First came across Woody's art in Mighty World Of Marvel where they reprinted DD. He's still in my top 3 artists ever, and I have tons of his stuff. BTW DD#7? Stan went on record several times as saying that was his favourite Marvel comic ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice for a salute, Doug. Wood was a true master. Just a couple weeks ago I posted a couple of his EC science fiction covers at BitBA. And you picked, as always, some great images for our edification.

    As Pete and J.A. mentioned Daredevil 7, let me add praises to that classic. Like J.A., I recently acquired that Marvel superheroes reprint. Only downside is that you don't get that gorgeous original cover.

    And speaking of covers, Wood inked Kirby on one of my all time favorites: Avengers 20. Man, what a perfectly matched combo they made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, love Wood's work as well. And like J.A. and Pete, I think the first place I encountered his work was in the DD vs. Sub-mariner story, which I had in Marvel's Greatest Superhero Battles when I was a little kid (I would say it was my favorite story in that book, but I have to say it's tied for first with the Silver Surfer vs. Thor story).
    I definitely agree that he could do pretty much any kind of story. Besides some of his superhero and parody work, I'm most familiar with his SF work, which I've read in various EC reprint books. He was truly one of the masters of the form.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a kid, I was lucky enough to exchange a few letters with Wally Wood. From the time I started recognizing artistic styles, Wood has been one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...