Search This Blog

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Pablo Marcos, Penciler, Inker... Artist




Pablo Marcos is one of those inkers whose work I can spot a mile away. Similar to Joe Sinnott, Vince Colletta, or Tony DeZuniga, there are just aspects of Marcos's style that speak loudly to me. And I'll admit... as a kid I didn't appreciate Marcos's influence over several pencilers. My apprehension generally centers around the Avengers in the mid-1970s. Spanning penciling runs by Sal Buscema, George Perez, and John Byrne, Marcos did serve to unify the look of the title. However, I found his faces somewhat distinct, and not as pleasing to my young eyes as other inkers might have been over those same pencilers. Now much older and wiser, my appreciation for Marcos and his work has grown. It's still distinct to me, but I've embraced it as uniquely his own style.

Thank you in advance to the collectors and purveyors of comic book art who have been kind enough to post the following images on the Internet so that we can all enjoy.














6 comments:

  1. Yes, Pablo's pencils and inks are instantly recognizable. He also drew a lot of covers exclusively for Marvel's British weeklies from 1974 to 1978. I didn't appreciate him back in those days but nowadays I love his work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting - and I think Doug and I have had this conversation, or versions thereof, a few times before at the BAB - I've never really had the initial dislike for Marcos' inks; in fact, I thought his style mess pretty well (or well enough) with all of the artists mentioned, and several others.
    I only read stories with his work from the b&w magazines later in life, but I think he excelled there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, gentlemen.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too didn't like his stuff as a kid, and I still don't fully love it, but there's no denying the man's skill. I don't think he was really suited for Superheroes, but he was perfect for Tales Of The Zombie. No one could do 'Grue' like him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Marcos's Conan stuff was always cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I'm with Doug and Colin, as a kid his artwork never resonated much with me, but over the years his work has grown on me. Viva Marcos!


    - Mike 'still trying to draw stickmen' from Trinidad & Tobago.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...