Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2019

Sgt. Pepper Taught the Band to Play... 10 Years Ago Today


To be honest, it was 10 years ago yesterday, but hey - it's my blog.

A seeming lifetime ago, on June 16 2009, my writing partner and I started a little venture called Bronze Age Babies. Karen Walker and I had blogged before for a brief period with a third partner. But what we wrought in the 7 1/2 years we wrote together has always been a source of pride for me. Even now, 31 months later, we often share the same brain in conversations we have via email or Twitter direct messages. Swell times.


It's been close to seven months that this space has been called home. Back in the autumn of 2018, I became aware that the boys at Back in the Bronze Age were thinking of scaling back on original content, moving their focus instead to once-a-week open forums. Martinex1 and Redartz had been key contributors to the BAB during the last few years of its existence. As the boys zeroed in on their last date, I contacted the two of them as well as Karen and expressed that I had the blogging itch again. With each of their blessings, the Black & White and Bronze Comics blog went live on November 26. While the BAB was a daily for much of its publishing history, and BitBA was prolifically produced for the better part of its two years, I wanted to try to keep the BWBC manageable in terms of the pace of publication. Two days each week seemed doable, and for the most part it has been. I'll freely admit that when I began, I was able to get way ahead on polished posts. But the past couple of months I've been working on more of a week-to-week basis.

And that brings me to the conclusion of today's post, and a quasi-announcement - this space isn't going anywhere, but I must inform my readers that the two-posts/week pace may become a bit erratic moving forward; may not. I just want to be up front that there may come a Monday or a Thursday when you happen by this place and there is stale content. Although most of you know I'm a school teacher, and thus benefit from extended time away from work throughout the year, life does still happen and believe it or not - sometimes finding an hour here and there just doesn't happen. I love reviewing comics and/or stories, and I've found the artist appreciations fun to cobble together. So I don't want to end either of those things, but I do want to be fair to everyone involved. I'll still use Twitter to publicize new posts, and any of our readers can continue to email me at bronzeagebabies AT yahoo DOT com. Have a guest-post idea? You go right ahead and suggest it - my eyes and ears are open!

I appreciate the feedback on the various posts and on Twitter. It's always nice to have a conversation with true believers of black & white art - so I want that to continue. And thanks for humoring me during the past decade - you have been my buds on Wednesdays at the LCS!

Behave yourselves...


10 comments:

  1. Happy 10th birthday to Bronze Age Babies and happy 53rd birthday to you on Thursday, Doug :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Colin. It has been a pleasure interacting with you all these years. I always love the perspective you bring. And your love of the Apes!!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Doug, when doing a side-project like a blog, you always have to make sure it never becomes a chore, I think. So regardless of the pace you opt for going forward - it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, happy tenth anniversary, Doug? (What's the traditional gift for that? I'm gonna say it's paper ... as in comic books); I never realized how much time a comics blog takes until I started doing one, so ten years is a major accomplishment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 10th anniversary and 53rd birthday, Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes, Steve. I appreciate it!

      Doug

      Delete
  6. Doug, happy 10th anniversary to you, Karen and the blog! Bronze Age Babies was always one of my fave blogs, a great resource for fans of Bronze Age comics which always had a friendly, community feel. And I love what you're doing here too, even if I don't comment half as much as I should.
    I'll have to have a think about a guest post. I really enjoyed doing the last one so hopefully I'll come up with something you can use. Take care and happy birthday for Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simon, I'll be waiting. I enjoyed the last submission, and it helped to get this space off the ground.

    Be well,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on 10 big years at the keyboard, Doug! Sorry to be late stopping by, it's been a crazy week. Whatever you do and whenever you choose to do it, I know it will be entertaining and thoughtful. Well done, my friend!

    Oh, and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...