Search This Blog

Thursday, November 7, 2019

James Sherman's Legion of Super-Heroes


I dig me some James Sherman Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes art! At the time I was like "What the...?!" when Mike Grell left the book to take over the Green Lantern/Green Arrow feature. But it didn't take long to see the man's many merits. Don't believe me? Head on over to his website where you can check out some swell Legion color art as well as black and white versions of the Legionnaires and their powers, as depicted in the second Legion treasury. Great stuff!

Enjoy a sampling of Sherman's Legion work today. Most of it was inked by Jack Abel. I especially love the lighting features these two created, and the general depth of each illustration.

As usual, a hearty "thank you!" to all those folks around the WWW who make such things available for us commoners to ogle. Those people of course retain all ownership rights.





 



 

 




3 comments:

  1. I loved Sherman's Legion! Except Abel was the absolute worst inker for him. Rubinstein was much better ( as in that splash of Wildfire hitting the table ). There's also a splash of Lightning Lad & Saturn Girl that apparently took him three days, and it's just beautiful. A great artist not always helped by unsympathetic inking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that's my inking on the splash of Wildfire hitting the table, not Joe's. But glad you like it.

      Delete
  2. As far as I recall, I only ever read one Legion story drawn by Sherman, from Superboy & the LoSH #233, which was reprinted in a digest later. It's a good story, and I really, really liked the art.
    However, one thing that kind of flew over my head back then, but which I've really noticed whenever I see Sherman's work posted on various comics blogs, is just how *sexy* he made the Legion look.
    Thanks for posting the images, Doug - and for highlighting such a great artist.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...